Re: Bump version to 1.5.0

Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 04:40:42PM -0500, Earnie Boyd wrote:

FYI, I bootstrapped msys tools by modifying the cygwin1.dll in the binary executable. So, it's conceivable to postinstall a sed script that would modify the dll name with caveats of new functionality not supported.

I used to do this all of the time in B19 days back when the DLL name
changed with each release.  That's changed now.  It was quite a battle
to get it changed, too (cgf bows).

Clap, clap, clap ... loud applause. :) Yes, it was a good thing.

The problem in this scenario is that just about every structure has changed
now.  stat, FILE, passwd, etc.  Changing the name of the DLL will just cause
most executables to crash.

I think I realized this after typing and pressing send. But what about

> I can also see the possibility for 32/64 bit versions for each new
> release with 32bit versions using libcygwin1.a while 64bit versions
> using libcygwin2.a.  An arbitrary date would be set to remove support
> for a 32bit versions.

Earnie.