Re: readv/writev

On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 04:48:23PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 12:38:09AM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:

>> > You can.  setmode(fd, O_TEXT); or setmode(fd, O_BINARY);
>>
>> Which is why I was suggesting stripping O_TEXT capability for raw FD's,
>> and making the TEXT translation only ever apply to the FILE * calls -
>> fprintf, fscanf, fread etc...
>>
>> It allows all the fd level code to be much much simpler.
>
>Sure, I *love* the idea, but it would break applications, e. g. ash,
>which opens input files on descriptor level.

Right.  It basically breaks the way it's supposed to WORK.  This is a
nonsensical suggestion.  Why do you think it is the way it is currently,
Robert?  Textmode translations work on fd and they are supposed to work
on fds.

That you would suggest anything other than that means that either I'm
not getting your suggestion or you are way off base.

Corinna says "You can use setmode on an fd" and you say "My suggestion
is to break all backwards compatibility and break with the way Microsoft
does it so that the code will be cleaner."  That's what I'm hearing and
that just won't fly.