Re: TCP problems

Conrad Scott wrote:

"Pierre A. Humblet" <Pierre.Humblet@ieee.org> wrote:

Conrad Scott wrote:

Sorry: I should have been clearer there.  No: my test cygwin
server doesn't duplicate any of its sockets (AFAICT etc. but

I'm

pretty sure).

Just to make sure I understand: it NEVER forks. Correct?

Never.  Ever ever.  Ever.  Not even once.

It's a really simple server: blocking accept,
read/write on the new file descriptor, then shutdown/close it

and

back to a blocking accept.  And it still hits the WASENOBUFS

wall

eventually (altho' it can be delayed by registry patches to
increase various TCP parameters).

How long/how many accepts (more or less) is "eventually".

On my lovely little win98/SE box: one hundred connections minus a
few.

Nicholas Wourms (my (un)willing test accomplice) reported "~3
minutes" of run time before hitting the same error: so he's
getting a thousand or so (?) connections by the sounds of it.

Perhaps we could implement a counter to ascertain exactly how many cycles until dies? Either that or I could pipe netstat to a file and have nano count how many open sockets there are... That figure should not be taken as exact, due to the fact I didn't run 'time' and was guessing when you asked.

Cheers,
Nicholas