Re: cygwin hang problem

On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 10:17:12PM -0400, Joe Buehler wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
>>Why did you feel that you had to modify handle_exceptions to wait for
>>dumper?  Since dumper is invoked as a debugger, and your backtrace
>>showed that try_to_debug was invoked with waitloop == true, this code
>>should have been exercised:
>
>That was my change -- to invoke with waitloop == true.  At least in
>the snapshot I am using, the code goes like this:
>
>if (try_to_debug(0)) {
>	debugging = 1;
>	return 0;
>}
>
>I observed that "debugging" got quite high in value before
>dumper managed to attach, and I was concerned that who knows what
>had been done to the stack in the meanwhile.

Ah.  Ok.  In that case the intent is for the debugger to see the actual
place where the SEGV occurred.  So, there is a lot of spinning going on
after the debuger process is invoked.  It is supposed to spin, hitting
the same SEGV until the debugger is initialized and at the point where
the process has been attached to, the debugger will see the SEGV (or
whatever) at the location where the actual error occurred.  Otherwise,
the stack is pretty much guaranteed to be in an incorrect state since it
has exception information on it that will probably confuse gdb.