Re: shm status

Christopher Faylor wrote:

On Sun, Jun 09, 2002 at 02:21:22PM +0100, Conrad Scott wrote:

Also the ipcs and ipcrm utitilities are really useful when working with sysv
ipc so I also thought I could start by adding these. Presumably this would
be a case for another cygwin_internal() interface? i.e. get the list of ids;
the program then issues xxxctl() calls to get the relevant details or rm the
requested objects. Any objections to such an approach? (Just for comparison,
the usual Un*x implementation involves reading kernel memory via /dev/kmem.)

Do we need a cygwin_internal interface?  How do OSes like linux do this?

Maybe it makes sense to start exposing things via the /proc interface, if that
is the way linux does it.

Except that I think Linus hates the /proc interface -- all that text parsing to pass info back and forth. Binary data should be binary...

Anyway, concerning ipcs and ipcrm...there are implementations of them in cygipc -- but *do not copy them*. It's that whole copyright thing.

ditto the utilities in cygutils: msgtool.c semstat.c semtool.c shmtool.c.

However, that doesn't stop you from compiling them, linking them against cygserver, and using them to help test and develop cygserver...

--Chuck