Re: Daemon reviewer

Hi!

Sunday, 27 January, 2002 Robert Collins robert.collins@itdomain.com.au wrote:

RC> Gary, will you have to time make some sort of comment on the code/design
RC> quality in the next (say) fortnight?

i'm in process of looking into it. the first thing i've stumbled
over is that cygserver.exe depends on cygwin1.dll. I believe it's
just wrong and may be a source of difficult to find errors. Is there
any particular reason for linking daemon with cygwin1.dll? original
named-pipes-as-transport thingie was made with self-sufficiency
requirement.

second, you wrote that it's mulithreaded, but it's not very clear what
does that mean. Do i understand right that every client connection
creates a separate thread to handle requests from that client? If it's
so, i'm afraid i don't understand what all those Interlocked* calls
and synchronization-related FIXME:'s are for. For instance, in
cygserver_transport_pipes.cc (transport_layer_pipes::init_security)
there's a FIXME: comment about the need of something like
pthread_once. i don't see why it's needed. Standard security
descriptors should be initialized once at the program startup, before
any new threads are being spawned.

or i just totally misunderstand your design.