Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 17:13:04 +1000
From: Mathew Boorman <mathew.boorman@au.cmg.com>
Subject: /etc/profile /etc/passwd and HOME
To: cygwin@cygwin.com

After installing on 2000 where my account has a default HOMEDRIVE setup, I
did the cygwin install.

mkpasswd automatically setup the home field in /etc/passwd correctly, but it
did not work.

I found /etc/profile does not check that but instead only checks for an
existing HOME.  It does not check for a value in /etc/passwd.

The following change worked for me, but it assumes that /etc/passwd exists.

Any comments?

# Set up USER's home directory
+# try and get it from /etc/passwd
+if [ -z "$HOME" ]; then
+  HOME=`grep mat /etc/passwd | cut --delimiter=: --fields=6`
+fi
+
+# fallback if HOME was not set in /etc/passwd
if [ -z "$HOME" ]; then
  HOME="/home/$USER"
fi

If OK and so requested I will figure out how to do a real patch.

m@