Re: Need name and functionality suggestions for a new utility

Hi!

Wednesday, 24 October, 2001 Earnie Boyd earnie_boyd@yahoo.com wrote:

EB> egor duda wrote:
>>
>> but i want to use these environments (gasp) simultaneously! Ain't it
>> a multitasking OS?
>>

EB> You've a lot of work to do to allow multiple versions of cygwin1.dll
EB> executing simultaneously to happen properly.  It has nothing to do with
EB> multitasking OS.

no, it's not that hard. i'm doing this constantly.

>> EB> That's fine, in the scenario I described above the part that changed was
>> EB> the cygwin1.dll not the sh.exe binary.  I just don't get why anything
>> EB> else is necessary to isolate a test version of cygwin1.dll.
>>
>> the problem is not with test versions, but with separate environments.
>> changing $PATH works as long as programs are called without full path.
>> and calling application using full path is rather common practice,
>> isn't it? :)
>>

EB> So what is the problem with the "full path"?  I'm missing your point.

EB> PATH=/dll-1.3.3:/bin
EB> /bin/sh executes sh using the released dll.

EB> PATH=/dll-test:/bin
EB> /bin/sh executes sh using the test version of the dll.

EB> /bin/cygwin1.dll doesn't exist.

this two /bin/sh should be different in different environments!
so, as long as you're calling "sh" from your scripts, everything works
ok. but change "sh" to "/bin/sh" and bang, we're using wrong sh.exe

the point is that environment != cygwin1.dll. environment is
dll+applications+headers+libraries+configs+... And we're talking about
switching _environments_, not dlls.

>> EB> such a thing then a CYGWIN option "mountkey=foo" should be added and a
>> EB> tool "cygremount" that copies the "mount v2" keys to a user specified
>> EB> value be given.

EB> You still won't be able to use both environments simultaneously.  It's
EB> either one or the other.

why not? i'll create 2 shortcuts to 2 .bat files and each of them will
set $CYGWIN accordingly.