Re: Need name and functionality suggestions for a new utility

On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 06:10:36PM +0400, egor duda wrote:
>but i want to use these environments (gasp) simultaneously! Ain't it
>a multitasking OS?

Right.  That was my reason for doing this.  I already employ bat files
to switch between cygwin releases.  They don't work in an environment
where two different cygwins are running at the same time.  I have a
completely different mount arrangement for the two releases.

>EB> If a differing mount table is desired, and I do see potential PRO's for
>EB> such a thing then a CYGWIN option "mountkey=foo" should be added and a
>EB> tool "cygremount" that copies the "mount v2" keys to a user specified
>EB> value be given.
>
>exactly.

Imagine if this is how we'd implemented chroot.  What kind of bug
reports do you think we'd be seeing?  Someone would invariably put a
CYGWIN= setting in their .profile and we'd be seeing bug reports like "I
ran bash and all of a sudden my chroot environment disappeared!"

It is possible to make this cygisolate scenario work in the cygwin
process runs non-cygwin process runs cygwin process scenario.  I don't
think it is really worth the effort at this point, though.  If it
becomes a big deal, then it can be done.  It probably should be done,
just for chroot, eventually.