Re: Need name and functionality suggestions for a new utility

egor duda wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Wednesday, 24 October, 2001 Earnie Boyd earnie_boyd@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> EB> Ok, for item 1 you simply
>
> EB> * mkdir /dll-1.3.3
> EB> * mkdir /dll-test
> EB> * move /bin/cygwin1.dll to /dll-1.3.3
> EB> * install your test cygwin1.dll to /dll-test
> EB> * cp /etc/profile /etc/profile-rls
> EB> * cp /etc/profile /etc/profile-test
> EB> * add the /dll-1.3.3 to the PATH settings in the /etc/profile-rls.
> EB> * add the /dll-test to the PATH settings in the /etc/profile-test.
> EB> * cp /cygwin.bat /cygwin-rls.bat
> EB> * cp /cygwin.bat /cygwin-test.bat
> EB> * add a copy of /etc/profile-rls to /etc/profile in the cygwin-rls.bat
> EB> * add a copy of /etc/profile-test to /etc/profile in the cygwin-test.bat
> EB> * issue - executing cygwin binaries outside of a Cygwin enabled shell.
> EB> * resolution - set the PATH manually before executing binaries.
>
> EB> This gives the isolation you need for the current releases of Cygwin
> EB> without fancy manipulations.
>
> EB> Given the simplicity of the isolation above, are differing mount tables
> EB> necessary?
>
> 1. somebody may want to have, say, /usr/include different across
> his cygwin "environments" or "profiles".

Ok

* mv /usr/include /usr/include-rls
* install your test versions to /usr/include-test
* ln -s /usr/include-rls /usr/include (or create a mount entry).
* modify your cygwin-rls.bat and cygwin-test.bat files to do the proper
forced symlink (or forced mount entry).

> 2. changing $PATH is not enough. for example, system() calls /bin/sh,
> and doesn't perform $PATH lookup.

That's fine, in the scenario I described above the part that changed was
the cygwin1.dll not the sh.exe binary.  I just don't get why anything
else is necessary to isolate a test version of cygwin1.dll.

If a differing mount table is desired, and I do see potential PRO's for
such a thing then a CYGWIN option "mountkey=foo" should be added and a
tool "cygremount" that copies the "mount v2" keys to a user specified
value be given.

Earnie.