RE: 1.3.4?

Jason Tishler writes:

>On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 02:06:04PM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
>> > From: Jason Tishler [mailto:jason@tishler.net]
>> > I'm leaning toward holding off releasing a threaded Python until your
>> > muto upgrade in complete.  Do you concur?
>>
>> So it's up to you really. I don't know when I'll get it done, (all my
>> current hack time is on the daemon/setup). How often does it
>occur? Is
>> it in the test suite only?
>
>So far, the only time that I use the threading in threaded Python
>is when I run the regression test.  I have only seen the hang is one
>thread related regression test: test_threadedtempfile.py.  This test
>spawns a lot of threads which I guess increases the probability that a
>hang occurs.  Maybe under normal conditions, the race condition won't
>happen too frequently (of course, until I release a threaded
>Python...).
>
>Norman, would you care to comment on the above?  Do you use threaded
>Cygwin Python?  If so, have you seen this or other thread
>related hangs?

I have been using a locally compiled threaded version of python for a while
and can't say that I have seen any problems.

BUT I have not been doing a lot of thread related stuff.

FWIW I think that we should force the issue and configure python to
use threads  ie
 ./configure; make;   instead of  ./configure --disable-threads; make

IMHO This is the only way to get wide testing and the core python
development teams attention if we do encounter problems !

< Easy enough for me to say since I am not the maintainer :-) >

Cheers

Norman