Re: rxvt pops up console with 2001-Aug-07 shapshot

Hi!

Wednesday, 22 August, 2001 Kazuhiro Fujieda fujieda@jaist.ac.jp wrote:

>> Kazuhiro, did you find your original problem only with inetd
>> and cygrunsrv or even when the process has been started by
>> SRVANY???

KF> My original problem is that sshd and inetd can't work without
KF> the console window when I execute it not as a service but as an
KF> normal application.

KF> For example, if you execute sshd via the startup shortcut, the
KF> console window pops up and remains until it is terminated by
KF> SIGTERM. If you execute it on a shell prompt and terminate the
KF> shell, the console window of the shell also remains.

i use this simple program in such cases.

#include <windows.h>

#define TITLESIZE 1024

int
main (int argc, char** argv)
{
  HWND console;
  char old_title [TITLESIZE];
  char new_title [TITLESIZE];
  if (!GetConsoleTitle (old_title, TITLESIZE))
    return 1;
  sprintf (new_title, "cygwin.hide.%d", GetCurrentProcessId ());
  SetConsoleTitle (new_title);
  Sleep (40);
  console = FindWindow (NULL, new_title);
  SetConsoleTitle (old_title);
  ShowWindow (console, SW_HIDE);
}

maybe we can add something like this to cygwin api? besides, cygwin
already has console handle, so title stuff won't be necessary.

>> Perhaps we should add a switch to cygrunsrv whether it should call
>> AllocConsole() or not?!?

KF> I think inetd and cygrunsrv shouldn't invoke AllocConsole() and
KF> the problem with windows popping up should be solved by Egor's
KF> ttyfier.

ttyfier is designed to run interactive applications. if you want to
run, say, 'net start some_service', which creates new console in case
it's not available, it's fine. but if you'll run it with redirected
output, e.g 'tfy net start some_service >> service.log', you won't see
in service.log what you should normally expect.