Re: libiberty fix

On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 07:07:18PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:

>> After some back and forth discussion, I have checked in a fix for
>> the libiberty problem that was raised here earlier.
>>
>> It bears no resemblance to my previous change.  It is *a lot* simpler,
>> actually.
>>
>> So, CVS should build again.
>

>FWIW, libiberty/configure.in still isn't autoconf-able with 2.52, unless
>something is done; the attached patch has the following characteristics:
>
>1) using autoconf-2.13, winsup updated from cvs (includes cgf's most
>recent change to libiberty), and the attached patch:  autoconf-2.13 in
>libiberty generates a configure that is identical to the one Chris put
>into CVS earlier today.
>
>(Yes, since everybody ignored my patch, I re-installed the obsolete
>autoconf-2.13 package and tested the damn thing myself.)

It's not a matter of ignoring.  I was trying to fix a specific problem.
The problem was not "How do I get libiberty working with 2.52?"  It
was how do I get a specific problem fixed.

As a scientist, I know that you understand that changing two variables
at once is rarely a good method for solving a problem.  The issue of
whether configure works in 2.52 is not something that really concerns
me.  That's an issue that can be hashed out in the gcc-patches mailing
list.

I suspect that you are reporting errors in building the host libiberty
rather than the target libiberty.  I was confining my efforts to the
libiberty that gets built in the i686-pc-cygwin target directory.

I guess I have to worry about the higher level one, too.  Hmm.

I hate libiberty.