Re: Problems with autoconf-2.52 testsuite using current CVS Cygwin

On Sat, Aug 04, 2001 at 02:43:07PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> >> Anyone working on this?  I'd like to make a new release someday and this
> >> should obviously be fixed.
> >>
> >> It would be wonderful if I didn't have to actually load the newest version
> >> of autoconf on my system and debug this after all of the previous debugging
> >> attempts.
> >

> >Oops.  It dropped off my radar screen.  I'll try to take a look, but I'm
> >running out of time.  At the risk of sounding like Bobby, Jr. <g>:
> >
> >My main development machine (a laptop) has had a mechanical failure, so
> >I have to ship it off to Dell for repair on Monday. It looks like I'll
> >be dead in the water for about a week after that.  I will have email
> >access(*) via other machines, but none of those are setup for cygwin
> >devel.  Or for LaTeX dissertation editing, for that matter. :-(
>
> I've been having some system problems too.  That plus my "real job" have
> limited my cygwin involvement slightly.
>
> It seems like Corinna has tracked this down to a potential problem with
> vfork but I don't really understand what that is.  It could well be a
> problem with ash's use of vfork, too.

Being low on time is a general problem currently, I assume. I undertook
some halfhearted attempts to find the reason but to no avail.

I guess you're right. It's probably the way ash uses vfork(). The
interesting thing is that I even couldn't find the corresponding
unlink()/rmdir() calls on the affected temp directories in the strace
outputs.

Strange enough, there _are_ actually `rm -rf' calls in the strace for
some temporary directories but the concerned directories are actually
erased. `rm' is never called for the not erased directories for some
reason.

If it's a problem with vfork() I would expect _failing_ unlink() calls
due to still opened handle on files or similar. The fact that there
are no unlink()s at all points to the vfork() usage in ash bypassing
some important code.

OTOH, it could also be the vfork() resulting in bypassing some
important code...

Red Hat, Inc.