Re: Problems with autoconf-2.52 testsuite using current CVS Cygwin

> On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 11:18:31AM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
>> I could probably whip up a perl (or shell) script to
>> do this -- but: what cygwin command can I use to turn off "inherit from
>> parent" or "propagate to child" behavior on an existing directory?  Not
>> "chmod 0xxx" is it?
>
> It would be a combination of a chmod which changes the permissions
> to _anything_ different to the current setting and then a chmod
> which reverts to the current setting. As I mentioned, that's
> needed due to the fact that chmod is so _incredible_ clever.

so the following *should* do the trick (assuming mktemp exists, of
course).  I'm only concerned with removing "inheritance" from a single
parent directory.

#!/bin/sh
foo=`mktemp -d /tmp/ggXXXXXX`
if [ -d ${foo} ] ; then
   if [ -d $1 ] ; then
     chmod --reference=$1 ${foo} # save old value
     chmod 0777 $1               # hopefully this is different
     chmod --reference=${foo} $1 # restore old value
   fi
   rmdir ${foo}
fi

--Chuck