Re: Looking into setup problems

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 07:21:42PM -0400, Brian Keener wrote:
>1 thing in pre_category branch - The partial display for Download from
>Internet on mine looks good, but if I select full - I only see the
>options for the version I am looking at - ie I can only skip, keep,
>retrieve, source for the Current version (if I have curr radio button
>selected) and if I select retrieve I cannot get to the source box (it
>stays at na).  I think originally the trust value (ie Prev Curr, Test)
>was so I could select <= trust so when I am clicking through for
>download I can select the previous version even when I have the current
>radio button selected.  When I select "Install from Internet" it seems
>to work this way.  Probably the bigger deal here is you would have to
>do a "retrieve" for binary and then a "sources" for the source during
>the download.  Hmmmm, seems as if the only choices I am getting under
>Prev, Curr, or Test are to skip, keep, retrieve or source during a
>Download from Internet session.  I did get the occasional version to
>click by - on Bash I think.

I hate to say this, but I have become somewhat disenchanted with this
prev/curr/test stuff.

How should it work if you have selected, say, Prev as the default, and
cycle through "Reinstall".  If you have the current version of ash
installed, what would you "re" install in this case?

Should this install the PREVious version of ash, wiping out whatever
version was installed?  Or, should it reinstall the currently installed
version?

I got it wrong with the download options.  It should be pretty clear
that "Retrieve" should retrieve the "Prev" version if there is one.  If
there is no "Prev" version, should it retrieve the current version,
though?

I guess I'm feeling that there is too much ambiguous state in this
field.  I tried to simplify things by collapsing everything into one
structure and creating one variable to track the state but I think that
there is still some tricky logic here.

I think I'd like to change things so that the default prev, curr, test
field is just became a mechanism for switching all of the fields below
it into the specified state.  I had planned on changing this into one of
DJ's cycleable icons so that you could switch every displayed package
into prev, curr, test, uninstall, etc.  Then you could get everything
into the state that you wanted, like "Skip", but specify that you
definitely want to install ash by clicking on the specific field.

I don't know how you could then force the installation of the sources of
a "Test" version in this case, though.