GCC 3.0 info

Those of who've played with gcc-3.0 know that it builds out of the box for
Cygwin, but unfortunately, there are a few kinks:

1. there should be slight adjustment to the mno-cygwin specs entry --
   from g++-3 to g++-v3. Very minor.

2. Problems with dwarf2 based C++ exception handling, but can use
   setjmp/longjmp aka sjlj EH, just like in 2.95.x. Configure with
   --enable-sjlj-exceptions.

3. C++ threads seem to work, but beware of what Cygwin snapshot you are
   running. The new ones seem to be ok, at least for my tests. Configure
   with --enable-threads.

4. There are two bugs, regressions from 2.95.x, that are bound to cause
   some serious headaches for using and creating C++ DLLs.

   Please see PR c++/3394 and c++/3395 [1]. I've posted a patch for PR
   3394 [2], but no serious review so far. 3395 is way out of my league,
   I just don't know enough about the C++ front end. Now, someone here
   must be able to figure out a solution!

   [1] See ``Bug reporting'' at http://gcc.gnu.org/, and then search for
   these bugs by number, ie., 3394 and 3395. Can't get there now, so can't
   come up with URLs, sorry.

   [2] http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2001-06/msg01544.html

Other than this, it does work quite well.

I've made pre-release versions available for Mingw, along with the current
set of patches I'm using. Most of these patches are in the current Cygwin
tree, so should be of some interest. Please see the thread in Mingw dev
list http://www.geocrawler.com/mail/msg.php3?msg_id=6017268&list=6016 for
more info.

Regards,
Mumit