Re: A cygwin mailing list experiment

On Tue, May 08, 2001 at 10:04:44PM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> [...]

The political part is the problem.  I also like being able to do sysadmin
work on sources.redhat.com.

I have to admit to being constantly frustrated by our sysadmin's
assurance that sources.redhat.com will be moved to a new, improved site
with infinitely better bandwidth, though.  It was supposed to happen in
January.

It looks like I have things tuned well enough to accomodate the recent
increases in activity.  I do think that there are procedural ways to
deal with the problems in the list, though.

Improving cygwin's documentation and making it available as a man or
info page is one way.

Weekly FAQ submissions is another.

Standardized FAQ-like responses to repeated queries (e.g., "Why doesn't
chmod work") is another.

I'm thinking of doing what some mailing lists do and sending email
to first-time posters, pointing out locations for various resources
on the web.

I'm still interested in seeing what becomes of our experiment, though.

I am usually the person with the first or second highest response to
mailing list traffic.  It is hard for me not to respond to problems but,
so far, my input has barely been needed.  Sniff.