Re: bz2lib autoconfiguration ??

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 07:43:46AM -0400, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>Robert Collins wrote:
>>
>> AFAIK it's by design.
>>
>> Adding new subdirs with separate packages typically involves a new
>> distribution.
>>
>> The --norecurse is to prevent changes to configure.[in|ac] at the top of
>> a set of related packages forcing reconfiguration for the sub-packages.
>> This has the side effect of not configuring added packages.
>>

>Hmm...  Ok, so I decided to try ./config.status --recheck --recurse in
>the i686-pc-cygwin/winsup directory.  That didn't help.

Since --recurse is not an option to config.status, I'm not surprised.

>Also executing configure in the top build directory will remove all
>configuration files from the i686-pc-cygwin/winsup directory.  :0

It will recreate the config.status and config.h files in the winsup
hierarchy.

>The way things are setup the only solution for obtaining configuration
>in a new subdirectory is to execute ../src/configure.  Perhaps the top
>level Makefile should reexecute configure instead of `config.status
>--recheck'??  Or the top level config.status should be made to remove
>the winsup configuration files from the winsup subdir?

Since adding new directories to the winsup directory is a relatively
rare event and since winsup's makefile is similar to the rest of the
build tree, I don't think there is any reason to change.