Winsup tree, Configure and win95 - what are appropriate switches.

Now that I have been configuring and reconfiguring and making and
remaking on my Win95 laptop for the Winsup build tree I thought I would
ask for some insight on what switches are/are not needed for a proper
Win95 configuration.   I would originally from within my /usr/build
directory simply enter the command /usr/src/configure and then when that
finished do make.  In light of some other problems I have had and threads
I had seen here I started thinking that wasn't right and tried some
others.  I'm still not sure so thought I would ask so thought I would ask
for some insight and thoughts.  I am really new to C++, Configure and
make and I don't really understand all the switches i have seen
used/suggested.  I have seen such things mentioned here as:

CC='gcc -D__MSVCRT__' /usr/src/configure
CC='gcc -mwin32' /usr/src/configure  /* if you are using gcc-2.95.2.7 or
above */
Also the above with a -I option for the includes

I also tried
/usr/src/configure --host=i686-pc-cygwin
since it seems like my configure always chooses i586-pc-cygwin and all
the installed packages seem to be i686-pc-cygwin.  Not sure the
difference (Mine is a Pentium II Win95 Laptop - Toshiba)

Anyone got any thought for me on this or where I might go to look.  While
the FAQ does tell you how to download, configure and make the source tree
it doesn't exactly fill in this kind of detail.