Cvs diff --- I don't understand

I'm confused - I had been sitting here merrily making my previous changes
to cinstall (setup.exe)and occasionally connecting to the cvs server and
doing a cvs diff -p2 to see what was different so I could keep my version
current.  Nothing but my own changes I had been making would should up.
Even when Corinna had trouble applying my big patch for choose.cc and
asked for a cvs diff -up the only changes that showed up were the ones I
had made to my version that were on my system.

Well I just did a cvs diff again and only my changes on my system were
displayed and then for laughs and just to see I did a cvs update and lo
and behold I got all the changes that I had been seeing being applied by
reading cvs-patches but yet they had never showed up when I did a cvs
diff and I thought they used to.

What have I been doing wrong and how should I control this type thing so
I keep up with these updates when I am working on a project.

bk