Re: latest/setup.exe

> This suggests that setup.exe is in cygwin/latest.  It is, but you
> don't want to get it from there, because it won't find setup.ini.

setup doesn't work that way.  It uses the mirrors file on
sources.redhat.com to locate the FTP sites and setup.ini files.  It
doesn't matter where setup.exe is stored.

I normally tell people to just click on the setup link on the cygwin
home page, which runs setup.exe right off the web server.

> Why not just move cygwin/latest/setup.exe to cygwin/setup.exe and
> get rid of the symlink?  Wouldn't this reduce the risk that someone
> runs latest/setup.exe directly, without setup.ini, thereby getting a
> null installation?  (And missing cygwin/contrib altogether?)

No, it doesn't work that way.

> Again, don't they also need setup.ini?

No.  If setup doesn't find setup.ini, it just installs any .tar.gz
files it finds (like the old setup did).  If it *does* find setup.ini,
*then* it uses it.

> Finally, latest/README hasn't changed from 15 Apr 2000, but the use
> of setup.exe has changed.  If anyone *did* read this, like
> download.html urges, I think people are going to be confused.

True.  Volunteers to rewrite it?