Re: Automatic Drive Mapping

Chris,

Chris Faylor wrote:
> I'm not sure exactly what you're suggesting.

I tried to be terse but complete -- I will try again below.

> You don't need to actually "mount" a drive to access remote services.  You can do this:

I knew that.

One of the issues that I'm trying to solve is that UNC access defaults
to text mode unless explicitly mounted in binary mode.

For example,

    $ net use
    Status       Local     Remote                    Network
    OK           H:        \\cancerman\home.jt       Microsoft Windows Network

    $ mount
    Device              Directory           Type         Flags
    H:                  /home/jt            user         binmode

    $ cd
    $ pwd
    /home/jt
    $ echo 1 >foo
    $ od -c foo
    0000000   1  \n

    $ cd //cancerman/home.jt
    $ echo 1 >foo
    $ od -c foo
    0000000   1  \r  \n

When I telnet, my home directory is set to //cancerman/home.jt not
/home/jt.  This is expected since:

    $ fgrep jt /etc/passwd
    jt::1004:513:Jason Tishler,S-1-...://cancerman/home.jt:/bin/bash

Now bash starts writing my history file in text mode, etc.

The solution to the above is to mount //cancerman/home.jt as /home/jt
in binary mode.  Unfortunately,  I still have the problem that some
native Win32 apps can't deal with the current directory being a UNC
style path.

(... much time passes and head banging occurs ...)

When I first tried this (about a month ago), I seemed to have problems
with Sun's javac and/or Microsoft's cl complaining about UNC paths not
being supported for the the current directory.  When I tried to reproduce
the problem today, I can only get cmd to fail.  But, who cares about cmd
anyway?

It seems like I may have solved my "problem"  -- without generating any
spurious work.  I will sheepishly go away and stop bothering the list...

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235