Re: Automatic Drive Mapping

On Tue, Jun 20, 2000 at 02:15:16PM -0400, Jason Tishler wrote:
>I would like to propose an enhancement to automatically map drives
>during "start up" similar to how Windows automatically (re)maps drives
>during logon.  I'm not sure whether this functionality (if acceptable)
>should go into the Cygwin DLL or something like login.
>
>The reason that I'm proposing this feature is that the only way that I
>was able to have a consistent set of mounts with both console and telnet
>access was to use mount with UNC style Win32 paths.  Unfortunately, many
>native Win32 apps can't deal with a UNC style path as their current
>directory.
>
>For example, my home directory is a share, \\cancerman\home.jt, which
>Windows maps to H: during logon.  I would like Cygwin to perform this
>mapping when I login via telnet, if necessary (ie, I am not currently
>logged on at the console).
>
>If this proposal is deemed reasonable, then I'll volunteer to help
>define and implement it.

I'm not sure exactly what you're suggesting.  You don't need to actually
"mount" a drive to access remote services.  You can do this:

mount -b //cancerman/home.jt /home

and it will work correctly.  You don't need to have the h: drive mounted.

This isn't a Cygwin thing.  You can also do things like this:

dir \\cancerman\home.jt