Re: [cet@carlthompson.net: Re: Extreme newbie here...]

On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 11:39:34AM -0500, Parker, Ron wrote:
>As a side note, I finally tracked down what was needed to release a new gcc
>w/o the i686-pc-cygwin directory, but will not be able to do so ... you got
>it ... until I get home this evening.  BTW, Chris you should add
>"gcc_tooldir=/usr" and "gcc_tooldir=$inst/usr" to the appropriate make
>commands in the script from which you mailed excerpts yesterday.

Will do.  Thanks for the heads up.

It looks like I have to add a MANIFEST ability too since I screwed up gdb
without noticing.

>There may also be a problem of -mno-cygwin picking up the cygwin header
>files in some cases.  I am looking into this.

I thought I saw this complaint.

>I can say that at least the following trivial program works both when
>compiled as C with gcc and as C++ with my modified g++.
>
><--- hello.c --->
>#include <windows.h>
>
>int APIENTRY WinMain(HINSTANCE a1,HINSTANCE a2,LPSTR a3,int a4)
>{
>        MessageBox(NULL, "Hello, world!", NULL, MB_OK);
>
>        return 0;
>}
><--- End hello.c --->
>
>However adding the simplest exception handling construct as in the following
>code creates a link error.
>
><--- eh_hello.cpp --->
>#include <windows.h>
>
>class foo
>{
>};
>
>int APIENTRY WinMain(HINSTANCE a1,HINSTANCE a2,LPSTR a3,int a4)
>{
>        try {
>                throw foo();
>        }
>        catch (foo& f)
>        {
>                MessageBox(NULL, "Hello, world!", NULL, MB_OK);
>        }
>
>        return 0;
>}
><--- End eh_hello.cpp --->
>
>Link error:
>
>bash-2.04$ g++ -mno-cygwin -fno-rtti hello.cpp -o hello
>/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/2.95.2/libgcc.a(_eh.o): In function
>`_eh_rtime_match':
>/home/src/gcc-2.95.2/gcc/./libgcc2.c(.text+0x389): undefined reference to
>`_impure_ptr'
>collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
>If your source code will compile with -fno-exceptions, it should work in
>most cases.

Hmm.  We noticed this when building strace and Mumit submitted a workaround
for it.  If you search the cygwin-developers archive you might find the
reason for this.  I think that the gcc library is somehow pulling in bits
of the cygwin library.

Thanks for the synopsis, Ron.  Much appreciated.