RE: /cygdrive/windows ?

> On Tue, May 02, 2000 at 10:50:06PM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:
> >
> >`cygpath --windir`
> >
> >The only time we'd need something like this visible outside a compiled
> >application is a script, and a script can use cygpath to get the
> >directory path and store it.  Any compiled program can just call
> >GetWindowsDirectory() itself.
>
> Actually, I was thinking that it would be nice to have this in a tar file:
>
> /cygdrive/system/some.dll .
>
> This would always extract some.dll to the windows/system directory.

IMHO: Putting things in windows\system[32] is not a very bright idea,
keeping the complete cygwin installation in a separate directory is how I
like it. At various times it has been usefull to have several different
cygwin installations installed into different directories. If some.dll goes
into windows\system[32] the requirement for backwards binary compability
becomes more stringent when changes are made to some.dll. There is also the
slight problem that some.dll may allready exist on the target system and it
might just be something quite different from your some.dll i.e. a name
clash.

Espen