Re: Permission denied with makeinfo from texinfo-4.0

Christopher Faylor <cgf@cygnus.com> writes:

> Are we sure that this is a correct analysis?  The previous analysis was
> that ReadFile was being passed a length which was larger than its
> supplied buffer.  That is (to me) inarguably wrong.  You can't say "I
> know how big the file is" because you can *never* know how big the file
> is in a multi-tasking operating system.
>
> It seems like Dave Bryan went to some effort to track this down and I don't
> see that his analysis is incorrect.

Dave's analysis is certainly correct, he's done a much more thorough
analysis of the situation. I had obviously neglected to read through
the entire thread, and missed some of the analysis.

However, read IMO should not care whether I pass it a valid buffer or
not if it's at end of file, and should return success and 0 bytes read
instead. Doesn't excuse buggy code of course, but my reading of POSIX
`read' requires this behaviour.

Regards,
Mumit