RE: Windows 9x environment space solution

> From: Chris Faylor [mailto:cgf@cygnus.com]

> That's fine with me.  I would eventually like a solution
> which set the PATH
> environment variable globally since a lot of people seem to
> be confused by
> this but it doesn't have to happen now.
>
> And, I don't think that it is likely that people will be
> complaining that
> they can't use their Windows "FIND" command once cygwin is
> installed.  In
> three years of reading the cygwin mailing list, I don't think
> I've ever
> seen someone complain that a cygwin utility was shadowing a Microsoft
> utility.

I use the cygwin tools at work to solve many different problems and
frequently deploy a subset of them within a group here. Typically for
something that can be solved quickly with a script.  No one knows where they
come from because there is a serious Unix/Linux phobia around here.  (I am
working on that.)  However, some of the Professional Engineers around here
think they are developers and they use "many highly sophisticated batch
files, that I just wouldn't understand".  (Try not to laugh when someone
tells you that.) I caught some serious backlash for putting the cygwin
binaries in the PATH and "changing default behavior of the operating
system."  I guess it made me gun shy.

The people that use the cygwin mailing list are a little more computer savvy
than my normal "target audience".