Re: Cygwin performance (was [ANN] PW32 the...)

Chris Faylor wrote:
> [...]
> I think that the big slowdown happens in counting the files in
> a directory to update the "nlinks" field in stat (or whatever
> it's called).

Oh, I missed that. Good point. I would offer to care for that
because it could be done in one step together with my change to
get_file_attribute().

> Maybe we should just detect when a file or directory is remote
> and not do some of the more expensive operations.

This is already detected in fstat. We could try to use this
knowledge. I would implement a static solution first. After
that, we could care for the following:

> I would like the ability to be able to set attributes on an executable
> something like:
>
>         chattr --stat-lite ls.exe

I would plead for a path controlled solution:

	cygset stat-lite [never|local|remote|always]

or, another way,

	cygset stat-lite a: e: \\

to set stat-lite on all full paths beginning with a:, e: or \\.

>         chattr --fix-all-existing-bugs cygwin1.dll

Let's get serious: Nobody would need us anymore ;-)