Re: setup.exe questions

On 29 Feb 2000 around 4:49PM (-0500) Larry Hall (RFK Partners,
Inc) wrote:

> At 04:27 PM 2/29/00, Glenn Spell wrote:
>
> >I suggest calling them .profile, .cshrc, etc... and that they be
> >expected to work as installed.
>
> If we're going to do this, then putting these files in better be
> an option (and probably better to default to off!)  I certainly
> wouldn't be happy if my .profile, .cshrc, .vimrc, etc. got
> overwritten just because I decided to do an install.  Neither will
> other than first time users...

I didn't realize the install routine would be or do an
upgrade... that's different. I wouldn't expect the install routine to
consider the quirks of my previous install and my deviations from any
standards.  In fact, I wouldn't want the install to touch my previous
install.  I'd make a totally new install and then change that to my
personal preferences.

If the installer does upgrades, different options should be used.

-glenn

--