Re: FS layout issues for v1.1 (eg., /bin and /usr/bin)

On Mon, Feb 28, 2000 at 08:16:58PM -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:
>In the Linux FSS, they talk about /,/usr,/usr/local like this:
>
>* / is for programs that are required to boot the system to its normal
>  multi-user mode.  Nominally, these would be statically-linked
>  programs to remove a dependence on the shared library system being
>  operational.
>
>* /usr is for other standard user-level programs installed with the OS
>  (or official packages) and is normally built with shared libraries.
>
>* /usr/local is for programs that are installed only on that machine
>  (i.e. not part of the "standard" package).
>
>I recall that there is a minimum set of "expected" commands in /bin
>(like ls, cp, sh, etc) but since cygwin isn't involved in booting most
>of its software belongs in /usr.  /usr/local should never be touched
>(except maybe to set up an empty directory structure) by the standard
>installer.

The problem is that you can't pick and choose.  If you're doing a top-level
make from devo stuff is going to go to where you've set your prefix and
exec-prefix.

FWIW, I like Mumit's proposal.  I think it is perfect.  I hadn't considered
/lib == /usr/lib but I think that that is a good idea, too.

Mumit also suggested in private email that "cygcheck" do a little
rooting around in the directory structure to report how things were laid
out just in case an adverturous user decides to remove the /usr/bin
symbolic link.