Re: pthreads status? [was Re: [Fwd: Many changes in latest snapshot]]

John Fortin <fortinj@ibm.net> writes:

> I seem to recall from the pthreads-win32 webpage that win95/98 are not
> supported because
> of the following...  ( from http://sourceware.cygnus.com/pthreads-win32/ )
>      The latter two need to be built on Win NT before they will be able to
> link applications which use
>      pthreads-win32. This is because the Win95 kernel32.dll does not include
> the functions _beginthreadex and
>      _endthreadex.

Should be fixed by now ... the *threadex functions are exported by MSVCRT
DLL, not CRTDLL. Either way, not usable by Cygwin.

>      Also note that neither Cygwin nor Mingw32 are able to build the library
> at this point because they lack
>      thread-safe exception handling in g++ (the library uses exceptions and
> so building with gcc, although the
>      code should compile, is not recommended if you want proper behaviour).

I added thread-safe C++ exceptions to Mingw32, and pthreads-win32 now works
like a charm.

> I do my coding on Win98, so I can't compile the code.    I can't comment on
> the g++ exception handling.

I ran all the tests on my laptop, which runs Win98.

See, things do change for the better ;->

Regards,
Mumit