Re: pthreads status? [was Re: [Fwd: Many changes in latest snapshot]]

Chris Faylor wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 07, 1999 at 10:15:28PM -0600, Mumit Khan wrote:
> >Just searched the archives for both cygwin and cygwin-developers lists,
> >looking for pthread related discussion. Not much at all, so here're
> >my two little questions:
> >
> >1. Anybody actively working on it?
>
> No, not that I'm aware of.

I'll start looking at it again.  December is sort of slow right now ( until
Dec 28 - Jan 5.   Damn Y2K crap at work...).
I'll split some time btwn xfree86 and this if you like.

> >2. Why not try to reuse code from pthreads-win32 project? License
> >   issue raises its ugly head again (isn't the copyright there owned
> >   by Cygnus as well?)?
>
> The code should be copyright Cygnus since Ben Elliston developed it, so
> there is no reason not to integrate it, I guess.  I have always thought
> that it would be a culture clash since pthreads-win32 does not understand
> anything about cygwin.  I would think that that would be important.

I seem to recall from the pthreads-win32 webpage that win95/98 are not
supported because
of the following...  ( from http://sourceware.cygnus.com/pthreads-win32/ )

     The latter two need to be built on Win NT before they will be able to
link applications which use
     pthreads-win32. This is because the Win95 kernel32.dll does not include
the functions _beginthreadex and
     _endthreadex.

     Also note that neither Cygwin nor Mingw32 are able to build the library
at this point because they lack
     thread-safe exception handling in g++ (the library uses exceptions and
so building with gcc, although the
     code should compile, is not recommended if you want proper behaviour).

     While the library cannot yet be built with the GNU compilers,
applications can be built with Mingw32
     provided Mingw32 uses the MSVCRT (see Q1 of the FAQ). In this case you
can use the prebuilt DLL if you
     don't have MSVC.

I do my coding on Win98, so I can't compile the code.    I can't comment on
the g++ exception handling.

John