Re: 19990805 Snapshot!!

Chris Faylor wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 07, 1999 at 10:23:55AM -0700, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> >--- Corinna Vinschen <corinna@vinschen.de> wrote:
> >>
> >> As I mentioned often enough before: ntsec is really dependent on correct
> >> installed /etc/passwd and /etc/group files. If you don't have it, create it.
> >> Read winsup/doc/ntsec.sgml for more info.
> >
> >Hmm.  I can see a lot of problems on the list with this.  Actually, I think
> >we're already seeing problems posted to the list based on this problem.  Since
> >this is a new feature, it might be best served with the default being nontsec
> >in all cases.  Then if ntsec is set and the proper /etc/passwd and /etc/group
> >files don't exist give a nice fat error with instructions of where to look for
> >the documentation for the proper use of ntsec and abort.
>
> ntsec is on by default now so that people will help check for bugs.  I
> asked people to check this before I made it the default, but...

Yep! First of all, if it would be off by default, nobody would test it
voluntary. As second, it's only default on NT and in developer snapshots.
As mentioned on the cygwin snapshot page: The snapshots are for developer
purposes and not thought for productivity usage.

So far as the B21 official release is affected, I think, ntsec should be
off by default, too.

> Corinna has pointed out that *at least* some of the problems are not
> ntsec related since she can duplicate them with CYGWIN=nontsec, so I'm
> (futilely?) trying to track down why my system works and so many other
> people are having problems.

I know what you mean. I have the same problem with the get_signal_mutex
problem and the effect, that only on Earnies machine the call to
set_process_privileges fails.

Maybe, it's because Earnie has still SP3??? I'm trying anything with
NT4 Workstation SP4 and W2KB3 Prof. and Server.

Regards,