Re: running two independent Cygwin DLLs?

On Sun, Jun 27, 1999 at 10:36:31PM -0500, Mumit Khan wrote:
>How do you guys do it? Keep in mind that I never work on a windows box,
>so go slow please.

I have a gdb and a cygwin DLL in a subdirectory not in my path.  Then,
when I need to debug another DLL, I cd to that directory type
'gdb whatever' and 'cd /'  Then when the program runs it picks up
the DLL from the path rather than from the subdirectory.

Sometimes when that doesn't work I try to attach to the process directly.
You can use symbol-file to load a specific DLL's symbols.

If there isn't enough time to catch the process in the act, I sometimes
add sleeps to various stages of the DLL startup.  Also the recent patches
to gdb from Egor Dada are nice in that they will fire up a gdb when a
process receives a core-dumping signal.

>> My only request is:  Please!   Don't even think of advising anyone
>> to do this at home.  It has great potential for problems and I really
>> don't want to see people attempting this on the cygwin mailing list.
>> My standard response to cygwin users has always been to keep only one
>> version of the DLL on the system.  That is always the safest way to
>> do things.
>
>That's the reason I posted to the cygwin-dev list hoping that most people
>here already know the dangers of playing with fire ;-)

Yup.  I know you know that and I hope that the cygwin-dev folks know it,
too but one thing I've learned is that you can't repeat things too
often.

You really can't.  Repeat things, too often.

Haw, haw,