Re: No more .core files

--- Corinna Vinschen <corinna@vinschen.de> wrote:
> Earnie Boyd wrote:
> >
> > --- Corinna Vinschen <corinna@vinschen.de> wrote:
> > > Assuming, Egor has signed, shouldn't this behaviour be controlled by
> > > the CYGWIN variable e.g (no)core (no)dump?
> > >
> > > I think, this would be useful and convenient options.
> >
> > I agree.  However, display it to stdout if nocore and nodump.
>                                    ^^^^^^
>                                    You mean stderr, do you?

Yes, that would be appropriate.  The brain gets slower as I get older. ;^)

> Then, only a short message should appear, e.g. only the words
> "Access violation".

No the stackdump.  It is often useful and as a single user I don't want files
cluttering up the disk unless I need them to; but, I still would like to see
the information.

Ok.  To keep everybody happy how about [no]dump[=display] or similar so that

1) CYGWIN=dump : will create the file.exe.dump
2) CYGWIN=dump=display : will create the file.exe.dump and display to stderr.
3) CYGWIN=nodump : don't create the file and display "Access violation".
4) CYGWIN=nodump=display : don't create file.exe.dump but display to stderr.

The default would be dump if nocore is set and nodump if core is set.
The default for core should be TRUE.

BTW: I just came to realize that it should be [no]stack[=display] instead of
[no]dump[=display] as dump could refer to coredump or stackdump.

Earnie.