Re[2]: default /etc/passwd contents

Hi!

9 Θώνό 1999 Corinna Vinschen corinna@vinschen.de wrote:

>> You can't get gid, because gid is only meaningful, if it's read from
>> /etc/passwd. Remember: Outside of domains, no primary group exists.
>> You only get name and uid but it should be possible, to use the
>> administrators group (gid 544) as primary group in any case.

Won't it give too much rights to this default user?

CV> Umm, I thought about it once more. This may also work with ntsec.
CV> Would you please try it, Egor?

CV> It then would be better, to insert /bin/sh as shell again in this entry,
CV> because this would be compatible to the standard behaviour.

AFAIK, far more common practice is to assign /bin/nonexistent as a
shell for most users, at least 80% of users on our unix hosts don't
have a shell. or perhaps it should be controlled via environment
variable CYGWIN_SHELL?

CV> This also would be a good choice for the default /etc/group entry.
CV> Instead of using the dummy group `Everyone' which doesn't refer
CV> to any meaningful group, I suggest using the `Administrators'
CV> group (gid 544). We would get the groups native name with the call
CV> `LookupAccountSid (NULL, get_admin_sid (), ...)'!

hmm. i think it will work under NT, however i think that we should give
minimal rights to "dummy" user. Will it be so, if he will belong to
"Administrators" group?

Either way, under win95 there should be some default uid and gid.