Re: Patch, Version 2: UNIX-like permissions on objects

Geoffrey Noer wrote:

> > Important hints:
> > - The /etc/passwd and /etc/group files _must_ be ok!
> > - The /etc/group file should contain the local groups on stand-alone
> > workstations!
> > - The gids in /etc/passwd should contain the correct membership to
> > the groups,
> >   never gid 513 (nobody)! You should take special care especially on stand-alone
> >   workstations!
> >   Correct example files on a stand-alone workstation (names are only translations from
> >   german NT4, I don't know the english names by own experience):
> >   /etc/passwd:
> >       everyone:*:0:0:::/usr/bin/date
> >       system:*:18:18:::/usr/bin/date
> >       administrator::500:544::/home/admin:/bin/csh
> >       guest:*:501:546:::/usr/bin/date
> >       administrators:*:544:544::/home/admin:/usr/bin/date
> >       corinna::1000:547:Corinna Vinschen:/home/corinna:/bin/tcsh
> >       ftp:*:1002:545::/home/pub:/usr/bin/date
> >   /etc/group:
> >       everyone::0:
> >       system::18:
> >       nobody::513:
> >       administrators::544:
> >       users::545:
> >       guests::546:
> >       powerusers::547:
> >       replication-operator::552:0:::
> >       backup-operators::551:0:::
>
> This means that our mkgroup program needs to generate these other
> entries, right?

You were too fast, I was yet writing my answer and I wanted to
send this info about /etc/... files again. :)

Another point: A few minutes ago, I've compiled the latest snapshot,
with my patch checked in. I don't have such a problem with ls -l as
you descibed. I think it maybe related to the /etc files.

I have still problems, too. I'm using my patch since I write it
in the end of January, but since I downgraded from SP3 to SP4 this week,
I got new shit in it: ./configure in winsup now crashes, if `ntsec'
is active. Sigh! I think, I have to reinstall my NT! The problems
are not only related to cygwin... :-(

> Overall, I still think we need to get rid of /etc/passwd and
> /etc/group in favor of getting the information from NT itself.
> Cygwin would handle accesses to /etc/passswd and /etc/group
> specially, like /dev/null now.
>
> What do you think?

IMHO, this wouldn't be the big deal. Especially on workstations,
the decision, which local group is the main group of an user,
is hard to do.

I would like to keep the /etc files for a while, until somebody
knows a sure and correct solution for this attachment problem.