Need opinions on "by invitation" status of cygwin-developers

I'm getting an increasing number of requests from people who "just want to
lurk" on the cygwin-developers mailing list.

Usually I send them a polite "sorry, that's not what the list is for" message
but I am getting worn down.

What do people think?  Should I just open up the list to everyone who's
interested?  My concern about doing this is that we will soon have a mirror
of the cygwin mailing list with people asking how to define aliases in bash.

There are at least two ways to do this:

1) Keep the mailing list status as is but allow "lurkers" on a case by case
   basis.

2) Open up the mailing list entirely and get me out of the loop as far as
   approvals are concerned.

Opinions?

cgf