Re: Retiring setup.hint

On 25/10/2017 22:18, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Oct 25 21:46, Jon Turney wrote:
On 25/10/2017 21:23, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Oct 25 20:42, Jon Turney wrote:

I propose that calm will stop accepting uploads containing setup.hint some
time shortly after 2017-11-18.

Better plan: when uploaded, calm will rename a setup.hint file to pvr.hint.

(If the appropriate pvr cannot be determined (from the name of tar files in the same directory), or the setup.hint contains lines which aren't valid in a pvr.hint, the upload will fail)

I deployed an update to calm today which does this.

(It also has some preliminary support for depends:, obsoletes:, build-depends: hints, along with some cosmetic fixes)

This is approximately one year after the cygport release [1] which, stopped
generating these files, so if you're using cygport >= 0.23.0, no action is
needed.

Warnings that you need to upgrade cygport have been generated for more than
6 months [2].

After setup.hint uploads are disabled, any remaining setup.hint in the
cygwin release on sourceware.org will be migrated to pvr.hint(s), as per
[3].

[1] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2016-11/msg00078.html
[2] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2017-04/msg00024.html
[3] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2016-09/msg00025.html

I'm still generating setup.hint files for the Cygwin package itself.

Please have a look into cygwin's cygport file.  Do we have an *easy*
replacement for creating test releases from cygport in the meantime?

Ideally I can simply call cygport with a --test parameter or some such
to create a test release.

See https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2017-10/msg00017.html which contains
my patch to do this, and an offer to implement this in whatever way is
acceptable to Yaakov.

Looks good to me.

I'll hold off on doing anything further until we've had some successes with the cygwin package to show this is working to your satisfaction.

(I haven't yet started on writing a tool to do the migration, in any case)