Re: setup and colons in filenames

On 26/10/2017 19:25, Achim Gratz wrote:
Jon Turney writes:
Achim Gratz wrote:
Jon Turney writes:
This seems a really odd thing to do, as we've no idea about the
dependencies of these packages, so installing them is unlikely work
well.

This particular code path was vetoed from getting thrown out last time I
worked in that area since it would break long-standing expectations
w.r.t. local package archives that have no setup.ini or even *.hint.

Can we have a link to that discussion, please?

It's somewhere in that thread from June 2015 related to the changes
between 2.871 and 2.873.  Also one of the intermediate versions got
complaints due to that code path not working correctly.

Using your clues, the only seemingly relevant discussion I found was starting at [1], but I can't find where it says anything like that.

https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2015-06/msg00091.html