Re: Perl 5.22.0

Achim Gratz writes:
>> Otherwise the first official Cygwin release will be 5.22.1, scheduled
>> for beginning of July.
>
> At the moment that is plan A, so everyone has about four weeks to build
> for Perl 5.22 using the 5.22.0 "private" release.  No rebuilds of
> distributions will be necessary with the 5.22.1 version bump.

It turns out the actual schedule for 5.22.1 is around September and the
original announcement that it would come in about a monthwqas copied
from some older announcement.  :-)

I have rebuilt Perl 5.22.0 and all distributions including some updates
in the last month with the updated toolchain.  I've uploaded the files
to my server if you want to test, please point setup at:

setup-{x86,x86_64}.exe -XOs http://cygwin.stromeko.net/

Again, since the release numbers haven't been bumped, it's easiest to
cheat on setup to get it to re-install everything Perl:

sed -re 's/( perl-.*-)[0-9]+\./\10./' -i.bak /etc/setup/installed.db

Keep in mind I have downgraded perl-Unicode-Normalize to 1.17, so you
need to click on that switch.

As a reminder to the other maintainers, here's the list of packages to
be taken care of for the update again.

The following Perl distributions are in the hands of Yaakov, mainly
because they are related to library or tool packages he owns.

perl-Authen-SASL
perl-Cairo
perl-Cairo-GObject
perl-Glib
perl-Glib-Object-Introspection
perl-Gnome2
perl-Gnome2-Canvas
perl-Gnome2-GConf
perl-Gnome2-Rsvg
perl-Gnome2-VFS
perl-Gnome2-Vte
perl-Gnome2-Wnck
perl-GStreamer
perl-GStreamer-Interfaces
perl-Gtk2
perl-Gtk2-GladeXML
perl-Gtk2-Notify
perl-Gtk2-SourceView2
perl-Gtk2-Spell
perl-Gtk2-Unique
perl-Gtk2-WebKit
perl-Gtk3
perl-MailTools
perl-Net-SMTP-SSL
perl-Pango
perl-PAR-Packer
perl-SGMLSpm
perl-Tk
perl-Tk-Canvas-GradientColor
perl-Tk-ColoredButton
perl-Tk-EntryCheck
perl-Tk-Getopt
perl-Tk-Pod

There are a few Perl distribution packages that are captive in another
source package.  The hopefully complete list of such packages:

perl-Graphics-Magick
perl-gv
perl-Image-Magick
perl-ming
perl-Net-Libproxy
perl-Xfce4-Xfconf
perl-zinnia

This means that again Yaakov as well as Marco and Volker need to
re-release those.  Yaakov has volunteered to update Volker's packages
while he's away, I hope the offer still stands.

These packages place module files into vendor_perl while the package
name has nothing to do with Perl (not all of them are available for both
architectures):

amanda
biber
git-svn
git
irssi
net-snmp-perl
po4a
pristine-tar
sendxmpp
subversion-perl

And lastly, two packages put files in site_perl which should not happen
for official packages, so that should be corrected anyway:

grepmail
stow

The last two sets of packages involve Mark O'Keefe,
Ken Brown, Adam Dinwoodie, Marco, David Rothenberger, Jari Aalto, Andrew
Schulman and Yaakov again.

Since the move of all packages into the release should happen at the
same time, I think we need to do something slightly different this time
around: I propose that instead of posting a !ready cookie a !perl cookie
is used instead (I hopa that would not create problems with upset).
Then a maintainer with full ssh access can flip those cookies over to
!ready between two scans so that all packages get moved at the same
time.  Would that work for everybody?

Regards,
Achim.