Re: [ITP] chicken-4.9.0.1

* Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> [141210 13:31]:
> The problem is just this:  We need a maintainer for the package.
> Somebody who's willing to do the packaging, manage updates, and
> monitors the cygwin mailing list for user's problems.
>
> Are you willing to take over Cygwin maintainership of the package?

I can do so. I will also pass on the cygwin specific knowlegde to
my co-developers so any of us could take care of the port. With
other linux distributions we have a similar link to package maintainers
/ ports lists and it has worked quite well in the past.

If that's not an option for you I humbly suggest the removal of the
old port. It has tons of bugs and we might switch off the infrastructure
behind the old CHICKEN extensions in the future without further
notice.

> You can easily install evaluation versions of 64 bit Windows into a
> virtual machine:
>
>   http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-8-1-enterprise
>   http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/dn205302.aspx

Thanks I will have a look. What's the cygwin way of detecting whether
we build for 32 or 64 bit? I'd use that to switch options then.

> > Maybe the old one from the 3.4.0 port could be usedâ The gcc-g++ is not
> > needed for building but there are FFI features included in the core
> > library that will use the C++ compiler for interfacing with C++
> > libraries. I am unsure how to express this potential dependency, maybe
> > hand that back to the user to decide?
>
> I think the gcc-g++ dep is fine.

Thanks.

Kind regards,

Christian

--
May you be peaceful, may you live in safety, may you be free from
suffering, and may you live with ease.