Re: [ITP] chicken-4.9.0.1

Hi Christian,

On Dec 10 12:25, Christian Kellermann wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I am a core developer of the CHICKEN scheme system. We have supported
> building and running CHICKEN on cygwin for almost a decade now. However
> I noticed that the current cygwin package has been outdated for years.

The maintainer of the package disappeared long ago, unfortunately...

> The current version that's listed is 3.4.0-0 which has been discontinued
> since 2006(?)...

...and there's still no 64 bit package of chicken for that reason.

> So I'd like to propose an update of said package to the current stable
> version as noted in the subject.

The problem is just this:  We need a maintainer for the package.
Somebody who's willing to do the packaging, manage updates, and
monitors the cygwin mailing list for user's problems.

Are you willing to take over Cygwin maintainership of the package?

> CHICKEN scheme has been packages in SuSe, Redhat and Debian for quite a
> while. As an example have a look at
>
> http://rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/fedora/devel/rawhide/i386/c/chicken-4.9.0.1-2.fc22.i686.html
>
> I have generated a new port with the following cygport file:

> # package name
> NAME="chicken"
> VERSION=4.9.0.1
> RELEASE=1
>
> # setup.hint generation
> CATEGORY="interpreters"
> SUMMARY="A practical and portable scheme system."
> DESCRIPTION="A practical and portable scheme system.
> CHICKEN is a compiler for the Scheme programming language. CHICKEN
> produces portable and efficient C, supports almost all of the R5RS
> Scheme language standard, and includes many enhancements and
> extensions."
>
> REQUIRES="make gcc-core gcc-g++"
>
> # source and patch files
> SRC_URI="http://code.call-cc.org/releases/${PV}/${P}.tar.gz";
> MAKEOPTS="PLATFORM=cygwin"
>

> src_compile() {
>         cd ${S}
> 	cygmake
> }
>
> src_install() {
> 	cd ${S}
> 	cygmake install
> }
>
> The CHICKEN build system uses make only and builds in the source
> directory. The platform has to be passed on as shown above.

Building in the source dir is usually not the right way to do it.  You
potentially end up with files in the source dir which are included in
the patch file of the source archive.  That's what cygport's "lndirs"
command is for; symlinking the sources into the build dir for build
systems not supporting building outside the source dir (which usually is
simple when using autoconf).

> As I only have access to a 32bit Windows Version (7) atm I am unable to
> test this for 64-bit builds.

You can easily install evaluation versions of 64 bit Windows into a
virtual machine:

  http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-8-1-enterprise
  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/dn205302.aspx

They are valid 90 days (workstation) or 180 days (server versions).

> As per your requirements for new submissions I have included the
> setup.hint file:

> category: interpreters
> requires:  make gcc-core gcc-g++
> sdesc: "A practical and portable scheme system."
> ldesc: "A practical and portable scheme system.
> CHICKEN is a compiler for the Scheme programming language. CHICKEN
> produces portable and efficient C, supports almost all of the R5RS
> Scheme language standard, and includes many enhancements and
> extensions."
>

> Maybe the old one from the 3.4.0 port could be usedâ The gcc-g++ is not
> needed for building but there are FFI features included in the core
> library that will use the C++ compiler for interfacing with C++
> libraries. I am unsure how to express this potential dependency, maybe
> hand that back to the user to decide?

I think the gcc-g++ dep is fine.

Thanks,

Red Hat