Re: [RFC] incremental rebase

On Nov 18 20:15, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen writes:
> > I'm glad for this initiative, but personally I don't have a strong
> > opinion what's the best way to go forward.  I'd just like to see some
> > mechanism to allow what Achim's _autorebase replacement does,
> > preferredly for _update-info-dir and other packages as well, and Ken's
> > request makes sense to me.  And I'd prefer a simple method, which can be
> > easily deployed by us maintainers, with the help of cygport if possible.
>
> I've thought about it some more, here's where I am so far:
>
> 1. I'd like to move from suffix to prefix so that the scripts will list
> in approximately the order they are run.
>
> 2. I'd like to prepare for perpetual scripts, triggered scripts and
> general stratified postinstallation.
>
> 3. The implementation will at first only provide pre-postinstall and
> post-postinstall, both perpetual.  Proper implementation of the things
> prepared for with 2. can then follow later.
>
> Here's how I think the prefixes should look like:

> stratum := [0-9a-z]
> type := [pqrt]
> trigger := [a-z]+

That sounds complicated in terms of usage by maintainers.  Maybe I
didn't quite grok the gist of the idea, so... given the number of
strata, how is a maintainer supposed to know what stratum a given
postinstall script should be?  0 and z are simple choices, but
otherwise... Do you have something in mind which might allow to automate
that for the maintainer?  In cygport?

How does the default dependency order come into play?  How, in general,
do you handle package dependencies if everything is stratumized?  The
stratum used for a script might invariable break the required order,
unles the maintainer know *exactly* how to choose the stratum.  Again,
if it's not just simply 0 or z.

> > Other than that, I'm open to almost everything.  Achim, if you don't
> > already have write access to the setup repo, please send your ssh key
> > per https://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/pdw/ps_form.cgi.
>
> That would be the project "Cygwin", right?

That would be "cygwin-apps".

> Also, someone needs to give
> me a quick rundown of CVS.

CVS is much simpler to use than git.  Also, for these projects you just
work in HEAD == master.

  Checkout:

    $ cvs -d :ext:<your_account>@sourceware.org:/cvs/cygwin-apps co setup

  Pull:

    $ cvs up

  Diff

    $ cvs diff

  Add files:

    $ cvs add

  Commit/Push (don't forget to add the ChangeLog entry!):

    $ cvs ci

Red Hat