Re: libquota-devel - broken incomplete package ?

On Sep  4 14:22, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Sep  2 12:29, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > On Sep  2 13:39, Pavel Fedin wrote:
> > >  [...]
> > >  BTW, just for interest, does Cygwin actually support quotas ? NT OS should
> > > actually support them i guess...
> >
> > Sorry, Cygwin doesn't support quota management yet.
> >
> > It can be added relatively easily, AFAICS.
>
> I spoke too soon.  This is Windows after all...
>
> > There are two ntdll system
> > calls Nt{Query,Set}QuotaInformationFile and a Nt{Query|Set}InformationFile
> > info class FILE_FS_CONTROL_INFORMATION to switch quoat mgmg on and off,
> > which roughly provide the functionality of quotactl, at least as far as
> > the block quota is concerned.  Windows doesn't support inode-based or
> > time limit-based quota management.
> >
> > We can look into implementing this at one point, and patches are
> > welcome, of course.
>
> I made a first attempt to implement a quotactl function, and failed:
>
> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c64ce903-86cc-4f41-89ce-e709a0a9f2fb

I now have a working solution, but... this is Windows!

- Quotas only work on NTFS.  Not even the newer ReFS supports them.

- Quotas only work for users, not for groups.  You can add groups to the
  filesystem's quota file (not via the GUI, btw), but they are simply
  ignored because their "QuotaUsed" is always 0.

- Quotas for inodes obviously won't work.

- Quota time limits are not supported at all.

So all we can do is switching quotas on NTFS on or off, and setting and
getting user's block quotas.

Is that really worth it?

Red Hat