Re: [ITA] Procmail 3.22

On Aug 18 12:42, D. Boland wrote:
> Hi Corinna,
>
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >
> > Some users are running fetchmail/procmail/mutt without the detour over
> > using an MTA, for instance:
> >
> >   $ grep mda ~/.fetchmailrc
> >   mda "/usr/bin/procmail -d %T"
> >
> > Will this still work as expected, even if the user is member of the
> > admin group?  Keep in mind that Windows XP/2003 are not providing UAC
> > at all, and even on UAC-providing systems, it might be switched off.
>
> I implemented the ipv6 patch. Here's the new release candidate:
>
> http://cygwin.boland.nl/x86/release/procmail/

Looks GTG, except... the version number is bad :}

The 64 bit package already *is* 3.22-13, so your package should
at least be 3.22-14 to override the older version automatically
without deleting it.

> I tested fetchmail, the way you indicate. It works fine, both for
> admin and non-admin users. Procmail always acts as the mailbox
> (calling) user. That's why Sendmail changes user two times, instead of
> one: root -> smmsp -> corinna

Just for the accuracy-huggers:  root -> smmsp -> corinna can't work
because smmsp doesn't have the right to switch the user context.
This should be either

  root -> smmsp

   +-> corinna

with smmsp and corinna process ineracting via pipes or sockets, or

  root -> smmsp via seteuid -> back to root -> corinna via setuid

Anyway, thanks for confirming that it works.

> By the way: this combination of fetchmail and procmail is nice. What
> program do you use to read the downloaded e-mail?

mutt, but I'm not using this method.  I'm runninng my mail stuff on
Linux using postfix as MTA.

> By the way 2: to be shure: does your procmail put the e-mails in
> /var/spool/mail?

No, my procmail distributes the mail it gets from postfix into a few
hundred MBOX files under ~/Mail.

Red Hat