Re: [ITP] mp3info-0.8.5a

On 2014-05-29 17:14, David Stacey wrote:
On 29/05/14 18:26, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
Sorry; our policy is to not include MP3 software in the distribution,
so unfortunately this package cannot be accepted.

Could you possibly elaborate on this please, as I wasn't aware of this
policy. I presume that it's something like licence issues (not free as
in freedom) or the risk of patent violation surrounding MP3.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Forbidden_items#MP3_Support

I ask because a little while ago I managed to put a typo in a tag of a
number of MP4 files, and corrected these by building AtomicParsley [1]
for Cygwin. I had intended to offer it here, in case someone else found
it useful. If AtomicParsley falls under the same policy then that's
fine; I'll strike it off my list of things to do.

The issues with some multimedia formats generally only apply to playing or writing the actual media stream (as mp3info does), not to reading the metadata ("tags"). Note that libid3tag and taglib are both in the distro for this reason.

Similarly, AtomicParsley falls in the latter category, and is already in Fedora, so feel free to ITP it if you wish. The latest versions have been moved to BitBucket though:

https://bitbucket.org/wez/atomicparsley/downloads

HTH,

Yaakov