Re: 64-bit: Missing perl modules

On Sun, Apr 6, 2014 at 1:59 PM, David Stacey wrote:
> On 06/04/14 17:38, Achim Gratz wrote:
>>
>> David Stacey writes:
>>>
>>> Thank you for your reply. Yes, I was aware of that discussion. I'm not
>>> talking about breaking up 'perl_vendor' for 32-bit Cygwin (although
>>> IMHO that would be a good thing in the long term). I'd just like to
>>> see the perl modules I mentioned adding to 64-bit Cygwin - and I'm
>>> happy to maintain those packages myself if no-one else want to claim
>>> ownership.
>>
>> I don't see why it should be a good idea to have different packaging for
>> the two architectures, so I still think this issue needs to be decided.
>

> Agreed. Hopefully the different collections of perl modules that are
> available in the two architectures can be unified with the next perl
> release.
>

>> Anyway, here's what I have:
>

> Yes, those are more or less identical to the packages that I prepared - I
> could have done with those links a few days ago :-) It's rather nice (albeit
> inefficient) to have two people trying to do the same thing - so often in
> open source programmes no-one has the time! You've obviously put some
> thought and effort into this, so I'm happy to step back and let you (or
> Reini) to maintain these perl modules. The important thing is that they end
> up in 64-bit Cygwin at some point.
>
> Thankfully, cygport makes most perl modules absurdly easy to maintain. So if
> you need someone to adopt a few if and when 'perl_vendor' gets split up then
> please let me know.
>
> Dave.

The new 5.18.2 package will be unified for 32bit and 64bit, yes.

perl_vendor will probably stay as is, as it is the easiest for the
user and the maintainer.
I still need to rebase all most-used XS modules esp. on 32bit perl to
make sense and avoid dll base collisions on forks, which happens with
CPAN, a basic bootstrap problem.

My cygwin-specific rebase framework for CPAN modules still needs some
love, esp. on 32bit.
--
Reini Urban
http://cpanel.net/   http://www.perl-compiler.org/