Re: Testing ping for cygwin x86_64

On Oct 17 10:17, Balaji wrote:
> Hi - since ping appears to be currently orphaned, I wanted to see if I
> can help out. It being a fairly simple package, definitely aided my
> decision.
>
> I downloaded the source for ping (Cygwin32). While I can't seem to get
> the provided shell script to run right, I was able to apply the
> included patch file and build the 32bit version. I tried building the
> 64bit version which did build and run fine on (Cygwin64 1.7.25). There
> were a bunch of warnings (even without -Wall) in the 64bit build and I
> patched them - mostly minor fixes like casts etc. and re-built/tested
> both versions.
>
> So, finally getting to my question - are the rudimentary ping tests
> that I did, good enough to make this package worthy of release?

I think so, yes.  Just keep in mind that Windows disallows using raw
sockets for non-admin users, which means that this ping implementation
will neither work for non-admins, nor for admins running a UAC-crippled
shell.  This shows up as questions on the Cygwin mailing list once in a
while, which, as a maintainer, you should be prepared to answer.

> This being my first attempt at trying to possibly maintain a Cygwin
> package, I want make sure I'm doing the right thing. One odd thing is
> that all of the source code and Makefile are in the patch file. Also,
> am I free to convert the package to cygport/ditch the shell script
> etc. - I understand all that may typically be the maintainer's choice?
> Advance thanks for any advice from you seasoned veterans.

Porting a package to cygport is highly appreciated, no worries.  And of
course you are free to pack it in a cleaner fashion than the existing
package.

Thanks,

Red Hat